Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Skinny Memorial Day BBQ Sides!

I love a good bring your own meat bbq. It means I get to go pick out my own nice 6 oz piece of fish, be responsible for the highest calorie part of a bbq: the sides, and invite everyone I love over but not spend a gazillion dollars. Soooo I made these 2 delicious sides. They are not the lowest ever in calories and to be honest I have no idea what I serving size would be so I'm not going to tally up the calories, but they are much better than the alternatives and nutritious and delicious!

Sweet Potato Salad:
*3 l bs sweet potatoes cubed (you can peel them, but the skin has all sorts of vitamins, so if you don't have an aversion, I suggest keeping it)
*1.5 cups non fat plain greek yogurt
*1 tbs packed splenda brown sugar blend
*drizzle sugar free maple syrup
*1 cup walnuts chopped
*3/4 cup raisins
*cinnamon to taste

Boil sweet potatoes until tender but not mushy (approx 7-8 min). Combine yogurt with splenda brown sugar, syrup and cinnamon. Add potatoes and stir. Stir in walnuts and raisins. Refrigerate and enjoy!

Macaroni Salad:
*13 oz box whole wheat macaroni
*1.5 cups light miracle whip
*2 tbs dijon mustard
*1 bundle celery chopped
*chopped clausen dill pickles to taste
*6 hard boiled egg whites chopped
*3 hard boiled eggs chopped
*salt, pepper, spike and paprika to taste

Boil macaroni until al dente. Drain. Mix in all other ingredients. Refrigerate and enjoy! Sooo easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment