Monday, November 8, 2010

Skinny meat loaf

I never thought I liked meatloaf until I tried Heather's recipe and I have made it for lots of friends and family who loved it. Here is my version, thanks to Heath for original! :O)

*3 egg whites
*3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (for all you haters, in meatloaf you honestly can't taste the difference!)
*1/2 cup uncooked oatmeal
*1/2 cup chopped onion
*1 tsp salt
*1/2 tsp rubbed sage
*1 tsp pepper
*1 tsp garlic powder
*1 1/4 lbs 99% lean ground turkey
*1 cup reduced sugar ketchup
*1/4 cup packed splenda brown sugar blend
*1 tsp worcestershire sauce

In a large bowl beat egg whites. Add almond milk, oatmeal, onion, and spices. Add turkey and mix well (I just use my hands and get up in there-that's the fun part!) Now I use an actual bread loaf pan, but you can use any baking pan--you want it about 8x4 and I recommend lining with tin foil. Combine remaining ingredients, spread 3/4 cup mixture over meat loaf, Bake at 350 for 60-65 min, or until meat is done. Let stand a few minutes, slice and serve with remaining sauce. Makes 4 servings if you eat a lot like me :O)

My calorie website didn't understand low sugar ketchup , so with reg ketchup, it comes out to 291 calories a serving, but probably more like 275.

Compare at 478 calories in the original!

Enjoy! :O)

1 comment:

  1. I really need to try almond milk when I get back apparently...
    Have you seen my turkey taco meatloaf recipe from Hungry Girl? SoSOSOSOSOSO yummy. If you haven't tried it, you should, it's bomb.
    Although I do need to use 99% fat free turkey for it I learned. I'm sure you would, but I thought you'd appreciate my admitting it. Lol.

    ReplyDelete