Saturday, July 9, 2011

Lemon Chicken Pasta Salad

I quickly discovered this summer that bringing those tiny, unfulfilling, processed white carb lean cuisines to work for lunch every day while I watched everyone else eat delicious sandwiches from Sacks was not going to make me successful in my goals of saving money and calories by bringing my lunch. After about 4 times in a row of ditching the lunch I brought to go get a sandwich and a cookie, I realized I had to re-evaluate haha.

So I had the brilliant idea to make something on Sunday that I could bring with me for the whole week. This may sound awful and boring to you, but honestly I do best when I have a plan and it takes me about a week to get bored with something, so 4 days of the same thing (Thursdays are hard so we go to lunch that day) is really the perfect amount of time. I found this recipe on one of the many food blogs I follow, and changed it up a little to add more protein and veggies.

  • 1/2 lb whole wheat pasta (I used penne)
  • 12 oz grilled chicken, cubed
  • 2 zucchinis, washed and chopped
  • 2 yellow squashes washed and chopped
  • kernels from 1 ear fresh corn (I used canned because I'm lazy like that)
  • 2 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
  • 1/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
  • 2 Tbsp light miracle whip
  • 1 Tbs Dijon mustard
  • Zest from 1 large lemon
  • 3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • Salt and pepper, to taste

  1. Cook pasta according to package instructions, preferably al dente. Drain and set aside.
  2. Cook squash in a large skillet over medium heat with nonstick spray. Add corn kernels; cook, stirring often, until slightly softened, about 5-7 minutes. Add in the minced garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
  3. Remove from heat and toss in the halved grape tomatoes. In a large bowl, toss the pasta with the veggies and chicken.
  4. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, miracle whip, mustard, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  5. Pour the yogurt mixture over the pasta and veggies; toss to coat.
  6. Chill pasta salad in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or until the flavors have melded.
  7. Serve cold or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment