Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Red White and Blue Cookies!


What do I love more than skinnified baking? Ummm skinnifed THEMED baking! Any opportunity to be creative or be inspired to bake something specific makes me so excited, so when I was invited to celebrate Freedom Land over at my friend Molly's house I immediately thought about what I would make to fit the theme. I quickly decided on these cookies and then found this recipe. I have been making some minor changes to my diet lately, and also the way I modify recipes. I've spent a long time being very strictly calorie conscious, but I am working on rather than focusing on calories, just changing the things that aren't "real food" or actually good for me. Of course I still use some fake sugar and stuff to cut down on the calories, but I am working on new ways of modifying recipes so that they not only are lower in calories and bad fats, but also provide some nutritional value!

Steve called these "the absolute best cookie's you've ever made". I wouldn't go that far. I still think my full fat toffee crunch cookies take the cake, but I will say that these were a huge hit and I loved them. I took several of them to Molly's, took a big plate to Bethany's mom's bbq, and took a plate to the lovely baristas at Starbucks. I left like 20 cookies at home since I was having company the next day--well I came home to 4 cookies a few hours later haha.

Recipe!

  • 1 cup brandy (to soak the berries in, then saving 1 1/4 teaspoons of it for later)
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/2 cup small blueberries
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 1/2 cup non fat plain greek yogurt
  • 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup splenda
  • 1/4 cup honey (measures just like sugar and all natural! Surprise!)
  • 1/3 cup splenda brown sugar blend
  • 3 egg whites, room temperature
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 cup of white chocolate chips

1 Put the berries in a wide and shallow bowl, pour in a bit of brandy. Enough so they're surrounded by it, but not drowning. Cover and place in the fridge for an hour or more. Afterwards, place a colander over a bowl and pour the berries and brandy through, putting the cranberries and the brandy they soaked in aside.

2 Preheat oven to 375°F. Beat the oil and yogurt until combined. Add the sugars and honey and beat again until well incorporated.

3 Add the eggs, vanilla extract, and add 1 1/4 teaspoons of the brandy that the berries soaked in (you can use the rest of the brandy to make a drink--YUM!). Beat well. Scrape down the sides of the bowl midway through to ensure even mixing.

4 Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt, then add to the mixture a bit at a time, beating until just mixed. Fold in the brandy soaked berries and white chocolate chips. Let chill for 15 minutes in the fridge.

5 Spray baking sheet with non stick spray and place rounded spoonfuls down on the sheet. Bake at 375°F for 8-10 minutes until just set (we all know I like my cookie doughy in the middle!). Let cool for a minute, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

About to go in the oven:

No comments:

Post a Comment