Sunday, August 28, 2011

Lavosh Pizzas

If you've ever eaten the glazed chicken lavosh pizza @ Pita Jungle, then you can understand my excitement when I found not just regular lavosh, but WHOLE WHEAT lavosh bread at Trader Joe's. Seriously the PERFECT pizza crust!

Last weekend when we were in San Diego, my mom, Hank and Charlie graciously offered to babysit out children.

So Friday night I invited them over for dinner to say thank you. As soon as I saw the lavosh bread @ TJ's, I was inspired to make my own flat bread pizza creations. I decided to try to recreate the Glazed Chicken Lavosh, and create my own BBQ Chicken.

Steve recently splurged on a fancy new camera and has become obsessed with taking pictures. When he began photographing me in action, I was less than amused.
But I quickly warmed up to the idea when I realized how much more fun the recipe/life blog would become with actual quality pictures and not the lame-o cell phone ones I've been trying to pass as good enough!

Now that I am measuring less and improvising more, it is making recipe writing a lot more challenging, but I will do my best to use more actual terms and less terms like "a crap load" :O)

BBQ Chicken Lavosh Pizza:
*1 whole wheat lavosh bread
*1/4 cup BBQ sauce
*1/4 red onion, sliced and caramelized (To caramelize, I just cook on low heat with a little olive oil and balsalmic vinegar for what seems like forever until the onions are super sweet and softened)
*Kernels from 1 ear corn, roasted (I brushed it with BBQ sauce before roasting YUM!)
*2 tbs cilantro, chopped
*1/2 cooked chicken breast, cubed (I marinated in BBQ sauce for 1 hour, then browned on the stove in a cast iron and transferred to the oven @ 350 for about 20 min)
*Freshly shredded part skim mozzarella
*Freshly shredded goat cheddar (I found it @ TJ's...in fact I got all my ingredients there!)

Crisp bread in the oven @ 400 degrees for 4 min. Spread a thin layer of BBQ sauce. Evenly spread chicken, corn, onions and cilantro. Top with desired amount of cheese (I used a 2:1 ratio of mozzarella and cheddar). Place back in the oven for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted. Slice and serve!

Glazed Chicken Lavosh Pizza:
*1 whole wheat
*1/4 red onion, sliced and carmelized
*1/2 cooked chicken breast, cubed (I marinated in honey mustard for 1 hour, then browned on the stove in a cast iron and transferred to the oven @ 350 for about 20 min)
*Freshly shredded part skim mozzarella
*Crumbled reduced fat feta cheese
*Sriracha sauce for topping (optional)

This one is super easy--place chicken and onion on the lavosh bread, top with cheese (I used an equal ratio of these cheeses). Cook in the oven @ 400 for approx 8 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted.


**NOTE** If I were to do this again, I would have given it a sauce. I don't think they do at Pita Jungle, but it would have made it better I think. I would have mixed some olive oil with some honey mustard and brushed it on the bread--however, if you do this, you will want to crisp up the bread first like in the BBQ recipe!

BBQ Salad:
*Leaves from 1 heart romaine
*Kernels from 2 ears corn, roasted (the same way as the pizza corn)
*1 red bell pepper, chopped
*2 tbs cilantro, chopped
*1 hard boiled egg + 2 hard boiled whites
*1 can reduced sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
*1/4 cup low fat feta, crumbled
*1/4 cup goat cheddar
*I would add some roma tomato, but my step dad is not a fan

Mix everything together in a big bowl and top with

BBQ Ranch Dressing:
*2:1:1 ratio fat free ranch, BBQ sauce, and fat free sour cream
*1 tbs cilantro, chopped

Whisk together!
Steve's plate (which looked pretty much exactly like mine)

The wrath of what Steve calls "Hurricane Ariana" in the kitchen
Yes, I do manage to use all of my luxurious counter space almost any time I cook absolutely anything. That's what it's there for!

Enjoy everyone! Happy Sunday :O)

No comments:

Post a Comment